Life and career
I’ve been an author, journalist and broadcaster in the UK and abroad. I’ve spent a number of years promoting sexual awareness through the arts and media.
Continuing Professional Development
The research I did as part of my Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of East London has now been published in a peer reviewed journal: Sexual and Relationship Therapy, part of Taylor & Francis. How can therapists and other healthcare practitioners best support and validate their queer menopausal clients?
I have regularly attended Pink Therapy’s ‘Advanced Clinical Discussions: Kink’ since 2013. In 2017-18 I attended a six-month long cycle of group supervision sessions focused on Out Of Control Sexual Behaviour, run by Dominic Davies and Doug Braun-Harvey.
In 2014 I started The London Gender, Sex and Relationship Diversity Practice. Six of us offer counselling, psychotherapy, mentoring and consultancy with a GSRD focus. We also offer training on a wide range of topics to media, charities and training organisations.
To keep my practice up to date, I read books and journals and attend conferences and seminars. Here is a selection of CPD from the last two years:
- Confer: Valerie Sinason – the truth about trauma and dissociation Part Two
- British Menopause Society 30th Annual Conference
- Confer: The Relational Montage of Eating Disorders – Professor Jean Petrucelli
- Confer: Deb Dana – The Polyvagal Guide to Relational Safety
- Aromantic Competent Care
- Confer: Valerie Sinason – the truth about trauma and dissociation Part One
- Confer: the Race Conversation
- Pink Therapy: Freedom to be Queer in UK – at what cost?
- Pink Therapy: How do therapists and clients manage their self-care in GSRD hostile environments?
- Feminist Studies Association: Feminist Perspectives on Neurodiversity and Neuronormativity
- Confer: Working with Toxic Shame
- Pink Therapy November 2020: Four seminars on Non-Monogamy
- BME Voices: Black Trauma in the Therapy Room
- TASHRA training: The Psychobiology of Kink
- Confer online conference module: Post-Slavery Syndrome
- Radical Therapists Network: Resting in grief and creatively processing shame
- TASHRA training: Clinical Training Workshop: Kink-claiming the Trauma: From Sexual Assault to Sexual Empowerment
- Pink Therapy – Kink on Pink – Living and Working in Kink Communities
- Pink Therapy – Kink on Pink – Understanding Adult Baby And Diaper Lovers
- CICS – Working with Domestic Violence and Abuse
- Carolyn Spring – Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice
- Carolyn Spring – Dissociation and DID – The Fundamentals
- Pink Therapy: Queer Desire
- Confer: A Couple State of Mind: Insights into Couple Relating and Therapeutic Work with Couples
- Confer: Queering Psychotherapy
- Pink Therapy: Intersecting Identities
- Confer: The Use of Psychedelics in Psychotherapy
- ‘How do menopausal queers experience healthcare services?’ at the British Psychological Society’s POWES (Psychology of Women and Equalities Section) conference.
- ‘Menopause – Agent of Queerness?’ at AltSex NYC.
- When the Kinks Won’t Sync – Working with Mismatched Desires in Kink Relationships – part of Pink Therapy’s Kink on Pink season.
- Queer Menopause – Where Gender, Sexuality and Age Collide (talk) at the Pink Therapy Queer Desire Conference.
- ‘Menopause, Sex and Hormones’ (talk) at Transitional States at Birkbeck in May 2018. (In 2018 I was on the advisory board of Pharmacosexuality: The Past, Present and Future of Sex on Drugs, a new research project funded by a Wellcome Trust Seed Award in Humanities and Social Sciences.)
- I have trained other therapists about gender/sexual diversity in the therapy room.
- ‘The Sex Escalator’ (talk) at Hackney Attic.
- I have solo facilitated, and held space for other teachers, at a number of experiential workshops and festivals.
- Honorary Psychotherapist, Bexley Psychotherapy Service, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust (2012-14). Two years clinical placement at a highly respected NHS Trust.
- Counsellor, The Centre for Better Health, Hackney (2012-13). A year providing counselling for established community organisation that is also a social enterprise and community hub.
- MA Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of East London
- Level 7 Diploma in Integrative Counselling – Minster Centre, London
- Mental Health First Aid (Camden Council).
- BA, MA, English Literature – Magdalen College, Oxford
- Advanced Accredited Gender, Sex and Relationship Therapist (Pink Therapy)
- Accredited Registrant Member of the NCS
- Member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Union.
- I am insured with Oxygen Insurance.
- Listed in Counselling Directory.
- Listed in Pink Therapy Directory.
- Listed in Psychology Today.
- Listed in Poly Friendly Professionals.
- Listed in Kink Aware Professionals.