Life and career
I’ve been an author (a memoir, novels, and short stories), journalist (in the UK and abroad), and broadcaster, and a lot of other things in between. I’ve spent a number of years promoting sexual awareness through the arts, media and charity work.
Continuing Professional Development
Three years ago I started the practice London Sex & Relationships Therapy. There are now seven of us. We offer counselling and psychotherapy with a GSRD focus. We also offer training on a wide range of topics to media, charities and training organisations. We meet monthly for peer supervision.
I regularly attend Pink Therapy’s ‘Advanced Clinical Discussions: Kink’.
I’ve been involved with the campaigning sex education organisation Sense About Sex.
To keep my practice up to date, I read books and journals and attend conferences and events:
- Critsex seminar on non-binary.
- Two day conference/workshop with Dr Stephen Porges: ‘The Transformative Power Of Feeling Safe: A Master Class On The Polyvagal Theory’
- Working with Muslim clients in Therapy (NAZ)
- When Work Is Sex: Bodies, Choice and Capitalism conference
- BPS Psychology of Sexualities research/practice seminar ‘Locating LGBT psychology within wider frameworks of oppression.’
- All-day conference to launch the Palgrave MacMillan Handbook of the Psychology of Sexuality and Gender
- Sex Worker Open University conference on the Advancement of Sex Worker Rights
- PACE RaRE Research Conference on improving LGBT mental health outcomes.
- The Interplay of Mind and Body in Sexual Problems and Psychosexual Disorders at the Royal Society of Medicine.
- Future Directions for the Theory, Practice and Research of Counselling and Psychotherapy at the Open University.
- Constellations Theory talk and discussion.
- A day of seminars that launched the BDSM and Gender Research Network.
- I have trained other therapists about gender/sexual diversity in the therapy room.
- I gave a talk about the Sex Escalator at Hackney Attic.
- I have solo facilitated, and held space for other teachers, at a number of experiential workshops.
- I organised a section of Beyond The Rainbow, Pink Therapy’s 2015 conference for therapists of all genders and sexualities. (Keynote videos here.)
- I have provided counselling services at festivals.
- Honorary Psychotherapist, Bexley Psychotherapy Service, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust (2012-14). Two years clinical placement at a highly respected NHS Trust.
- Counsellor, The Centre for Better Health, Hackney (2012-13). A year providing counselling for established community organisation that is also a social enterprise and community hub.
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling – Minster Centre, London
- AIT (Advanced Integrative Therapy) Basics.
- Mental Health First Aid (Camden Council).
- BA and Master of Arts, English Literature – Magdalen College, Oxford
- Listed in Counselling Directory.
- Listed in Pink Therapy Directory.
- Listed in Poly Friendly Professionals.
- Listed in Kink Aware Professionals.